Saturday, April 28, 2007

Kurntumaru and Parnaparnti: My new Jimmy Pike jumper

Jan Hastings,a lovely lady from Darwin has just sent me my latest jumper she has knitted for me. Its timely as winter has now arrived. I like the designs created by the late Jimmy Pike (see more about Jimmy Pike here )and this is the second jumper she has made for me from a pattern book I bought.
This jumpers design is based on the Dreamtime stories about two cousin-brothers, Kurntumaru and Parnaparnti who tracked all the snakes "They been go in a long big hole. They touched the snakes with a stick. The names of the place are Wurrampangu and Narikartuwarnti. All the big sandhills called Japi are there, very dangerous to people. That's a Dreamtime place that's a Wituka Country. The two cousin-brothers went all through that country" (Jimmy Pike, quoted in Desert Designs: 26 knits by Aboriginal Artists, text by Stephen Muecke, Simon & Schuster, Brookvale NSW, 1990
My new jumper
An alternative version is"Dreamtime figures: two cousin-brothers, Kurntumaru (black goanna) and Parnaparnti (yellow sand goana), giant men who traveled from East to West, naming animals as they went." See the original print here

No comments: